[Comp-neuro] new paper

Arjen van Ooyen arjen.van.ooyen at falw.vu.nl
Thu Feb 2 13:03:15 CET 2006

Janulevicius, A., Van Pelt, J., Van Ooyen, A. (2006) Compartment volume
influences microtubule dynamic instability: a model study. Biophysical
J. 90: 788-798.

For the full text of the paper, go to
http://www.bio.vu.nl/enf/vanooyen/papers/microtubules_abstract.html

Abstract

Microtubules (MTs) are cytoskeletal polymers that exhibit dynamic
instability, the random alternation between growth and shrinkage. MT
dynamic instability plays an essential role in cell development,
division and motility. To investigate dynamic instability, simulation
models have been widely used. However, conditions under which the
concentration of free tubulin fluctuates as a result of growing or
shrinking MTs have not been studied before. Such conditions can arise,
for example, in small compartments, such as neuronal growth cones. Here
we investigate by means of computational modelling how concentration
fluctuations caused by growing and shrinking MTs affect dynamic
instability. We show that these fluctuations shorten MT growth and
shrinkage times and change their distributions from exponential to
non-exponential, gamma-like. Gamma-like distributions of MT growth and
shrinkage times, which allow optimal stochastic searching by MTs, have
been observed in various cell types and are believed to require
structural changes in the MT during growth or shrinkage. Our results,
however, show that these distributions can already arise as a result of
fluctuations in the concentration of free tubulin due to growing and
shrinking MTs. Such fluctuations are possible not only in small
compartments but also when tubulin diffusion is slow or when many MTs
(de)polymerize synchronously. Volume and all other factors that
influence these fluctuations can affect MT dynamic instability and,
consequently, the processes that depend on it, such as neuronal growth
cone behaviour and cell motility in general.

--
Dr. Arjen van Ooyen
Center for Neurogenomics and Cognitive Research (CNCR)

E-mail: arjen.van.ooyen at falw.vu.nl
Phone:  +31.20.5987090
Fax:    +31.20.5987112
Room:   C454