[Comp-neuro] Two postdoctoral positions in computational/experimental neuroscience

Maxim Bazhenov bazhenov at salk.edu
Thu Apr 10 21:17:47 CEST 2008

Two postdoctoral positions are available starting July 1st, 2008 in the
laboratory of Maxim Bazhenov at the Institute for Integrative Genome
Biology and the Department of Cell Biology and Neuroscience at the
University of California, Riverside: http://www.genomics.ucr.edu/

The long-range goal of our research program is to understand general
aspects and basic mechanisms of biological rhythms and the role of
neuronal oscillations and synchrony in information processing. Our work
focuses on the following areas: (1) studying cellular and network
mechanisms for normal (sleep, activated states) and abnormal (epilepsy)
oscillations in the thalamocortical system; (2) investigating principles
and rules of olfactory information processing; this project is targeted
to discover the general principles and the neural circuitry involved in
the encoding of sensory information in the brain. To address these
questions, we use broad spectrum of computational approaches ranging
from detailed conductance based models developed from experimental data
to different classes of simplified neuronal models that allow
large-scale analysis with realistic network structure. Our research
involves extensive collaboration with experimental groups of Dr. Laurent
(Caltech), Dr. Stopfer (NIH), Dr. Timofeev (Laval University). More
information about our research is available at
http://www.snl.salk.edu/~bazhenov/

One position is in computational neuroscience. It requires experience in
computational neuroscience and/or computer modeling. Programming
experience with C/C++ and Matlab is a plus. Second position is in
experimental electrophysiology (a combination of computational and
experimental efforts is desirable). Extensive experience in patch-clamp
recordings and slice electrophysiology is required.

Applicants should send a brief statement of research interests, recent
CV, 2-3 sample manuscripts, and three letters of reference (mailed
directly from referees) to Maxim Bazhenov, 10010 N. Torrey Pines Road,
La Jolla, CA 92037 USA or by email to bazhenov at salk.edu