[Comp-neuro] PostDoc Position

Gustavo Deco gustavo.deco at upf.edu
Mon Apr 21 15:27:13 CEST 2008

Please distribute:

COMPUTATIONAL NEUROSCIENCE POST-DOCTORAL POSITION AVAILABLE

Date: April 2008

Employer: Prof. Dr. Gustavo Deco, Foundation Barcelona Media / Technology
Department, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain.

Applications are invited for a Post-Doctoral positions in the Theoretical and
Computational Neuroscience Group at the Pompeu Fabra University, Barcelona,
Spain, commencing immediately.

The project: "Large scale interactions in brain networks and their breakdown
in brain diseases" (European FP7)

The overall goal of this project is to understand how neuronal assemblies
exchange information (functional neuronal communication), and how variability
in neuronal communication explains variability in behaviour, both in the
healthy and injured brain. Neural communication involves temporal
interactions, not only locally within an area but also on a larger-scale
between brain areas. We focus on large-scale interactions that arise at two
distinct but potentially related temporal scales: 'slow' (~0.1 Hz)
fluctuations of the blood oxygen level dependent (BOLD) signal, as readily
measured with functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI); and 'fast' (1-150
Hz) neuronal oscillations, as can be measured at various spatial scales (e.g.
multi-unit activity (MUA) and local field potentials (LFP) at fine spatial
scale; magnetoencephalography (MEG) at intermediate scale;
electroencephalography (EEG). In our group, we are responsible for the
modeling part.

The candidates are expected to have a PhD in Neuroscience, Physics, or
Mathematics. Specific requirements are:

    * Have a PhD;
    * Motivation to pursue a career in research;
    * Excellent spoken and written English;
    * Be eligible for and obtain a valid visa (where required) for
postdoctoral residence;
    * Have a good publication record in peer-reviewed international
proceedings and journals.

Please send gustavo.deco at upf dot edu

1. CV; 2. Motivation letter describing research interests, prospective
controbution to our projects and career vision; 3. Three letters of
reference; 4. Full list of publications and copy of the three most
representative ones. 5. Any other documents (publication, award, etc.) to
support your application

Selected postdoctoral students receive an office, computer, access to all
facilities and will be involved in the managment and development of the
challenging research projects.

Only applications containing items 1-5 will be considered. If you do not hear
from us within 4 weeks of sending the documents, it means that your
application was not retained. Documents won't be returned (please do not send
originals).

Applications can be sent immediately and will be processed in the order
received until the positions are filled.

--
Prof. Dr. Gustavo Deco
Computational Neuroscience