[Comp-neuro] Re: Attractors, variability and noise

Ross Gayler r.gayler at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 04:33:26 CEST 2008

> what we should be doing is publishing the models and building the text and
figure descriptions of its behavior around them.
> Why shouldn't figures for publication be generated from the model itself?
Why shouldn't textual descriptions be directly
> linked to model components.  And why shouldn't one be able to link to the
experimental datasets from which the model was tuned?

That is precisely the thrust of the reproducible research movement that I
mentioned in a slightly earlier post.  For example, the
statisticians (http://www.bepress.com/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1001
<http://www.bepress.com/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1001&context=bioconducto
r> &context=bioconductor) want the research paper to effectively
contain all the code and data to allow the reader to regenerate (and
experiment with) the empirical results.

> Is there any reason in principle, for example, that some of the peer
review of such publications couldn't be done automatically?
> What would that do to the geo-political mess of peer review that we all
now live with

Are you seriously suggesting that any current peer-reviewer would go to the
bother of attempting to verify claimed results?
I'm not convinced that is part of the peer-reviewer's role and even less
convinced that automating peer-review is feasible
(except to verify that the final form of the article can be regenerated from
the source code). Claerbout in the third paragraph of
http://sepwww.stanford.edu/research/redoc/IRIS.html states "I have three
textbooks on reflection seismology containing 243
illustrations that are computed from data and theory. I routinely erase all
these 243 figures, and then I recompute them.
For a PhD thesis to be accepted by me, I routinely remove the computed
figures and recompute them."

You could probably also tie this discussion thread into the Open Access
publication movement http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_access
Their interest in alternative peer review models might tie into the notion
that making computational research reproducible
via the publications would allow every reader to verify (if they wished) the
results claimed and also to experiment with
modifications to the experimental preparations to assess whetehr the results
claimed depend crucially
on the exact parameters chosen by the authors.

> What would that do to the geo-political mess of peer review that we all
now live with -
> where some would say the tyranny of ideas has all but stifled advancement
in our science?

You might be interested in the work of Don Braben
(http://www.frontier.co.uk/VentureResearch/.
He arges that current funding mechanisms and peer review conspire to
suppress revolutionary research.
He maintains that researchers like Planck and Einstein would never have been
funded today.
His views are not just vapour-ware.  For some years he ran a large'ish
funding scheme that specifically aimed
to fund revolutionary research that could not attract standard funding.  The
case studies on his website make
for interesting reading
(http://www.frontier.co.uk/VentureResearch/Table.html).  You will need to
find a
copy of his most recent book to read the extended descriptions.

--Ross

  _____