[Comp-neuro] Discussion -- time to get back to work :-)

Klaus M. Stiefel stiefel at salk.edu
Wed Aug 27 05:08:08 CEST 2008

Dear All,

I hope this discussion is not officially over yet, as I'd like to remark
on one point.

As I understand Kuhn, biology is clearly *not* a pre-paradigmatic
science. One criticism of Kuhn was allways that he uses "paradigm" and
"paradigm change" in a number of different meanings. Nevertheless, I
don't think he would call present day biology or neuroscience
pre-paradigmatic. What he meant by that is a disagreement about the
basic explainanda - what is it we are dealing with when trying to find
an explanation for the phenomena we are interrested in.

The question if there is a "vis vitalis" or not, now long resolved, was
a pre-paradigmatic question in biology. In contrast, now we are well
aware that the explainations we seek have to do with biochemistry,
biological macromolecules, cells, organs, organisms, and their dynamics.
All neuroscientists agree that we will have to investigate neurons and
brains. We are asking how exactly neurons contribute to behavior, not if
the brain is the body's cooling organ or coordination center (that would
be pre-paradigmatic).

A complex problem will necessitate a variety of methods. Some
disagreement about what kinds of methods to use can be a motor of
scientific innovation but is not necessarily a sign of a
pre-paradigmatic science. So I am sure that there are lots of
fascinating challenges ahead biology, but to make it a paradigmatic
science is not one of them IMO.

Best,

Klaus Stiefel