[Comp-neuro] Okinawa Computational Neuroscience Course 2008: First announcement

Erik De Schutter erik at tnb.ua.ac.be
Tue Dec 16 14:29:40 CET 2008

First Announcement

OKINAWA COMPUTATIONAL NEUROSCIENCE COURSE 2008
                Methods, Neurons, Networks and Behaviors
                   June 14 - July 3, 2009. Okinawa, Japan
                           http://www.irp.oist.jp/ocnc/2009

The aim of the Okinawa Computational Neuroscience Course is to
provide opportunities for young researchers with theoretical backgrounds
to learn the latest advances in neuroscience, and for those with
experimental
backgrounds to have hands-on experience in computational modeling.

We invite graduate students and postgraduate researchers to participate
in the course, held from June 14th through July 3rd, 2009 at an
oceanfront
seminar house of the Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology.
Applications will be through the course web page only; the forms will
become available January 5th, 2009 and applications will close February
19th, 2009. Applicants will be required to propose a project at the
time of
application. Applicants will receive confirmation of acceptance before
end
of March.

Like in preceding years, OCNC will be a comprehensive three-week course
covering single neurons, networks, and behaviors with ample time for
student projects. The first week will focus exclusively on methods with
hands-on tutorials during the afternoons, while the second and third
weeks
will have lectures by international experts. We invite those who are
interested
in integrating experimental and computational approaches at each
level, as
well as in bridging different levels of complexity.

The sponsor will provide lodging and meals during the course and
support travel for those without funding. We hope that this course will
be a good opportunity for theoretical and experimental neuroscientists
to meet each other and to explore the attractive nature and culture of
Okinawa, the southernmost island prefecture of Japan.

Invited faculty:
	• Arbuthnott, Gordon
	• Bartos, Marlene
	• Cateau, Hideyuki