[Comp-neuro] Open position for PhD student or postdoc at the University of Zurich

Renaud Jolivet rjolivet at pharma.uzh.ch
Wed Jun 17 14:07:47 CEST 2009

Open position for PhD student or postdoc in systems neuroscience project
involving sensory discrimination and decision making in rodents.

Perceptual discriminations are among the most important decision making
processes. From a neuroscience point of view, one of the most prominent
questions is how the percept of a given stimulus is encoded in the brain
and how this translates to a decision that is followed by a motor
output. Using the repertoire of experimental techniques available in our
lab, such as multielectrode extracellular recordings, voltage sensitive
dye imaging and two photon imaging in awake animals, our goal is to
characterize in detail single-cell and network activity in the rodent
somatosensory cortex during a decision making task.

Candidates should have experience in one of the techniques mentioned,
and preferably a background in neuroscience. We are seeking people with
an interactive personality and good communication skills. PhD students
will join the International PhD Program in Neuroscience at the
Neuroscience Center Zurich (ZNZ). The project is embedded in the
large-scale project ‘Neurochoice’, which is funded by the SystemsX/Swiss
National Science Foundation.

Applications should include a CV, the academic achievements, a brief
statement of research interests including your past experience and names
of at least 2 referees. Applications will be accepted until positions
are filled.

Please contact Prof. Dr. Bruno Weber (bweber at pharma.uzh.ch) or Dr.
Florent Haiss (fhaiss at pharma.uzh.ch).

Further information about the group can be found at:
http://www.pharma.uzh.ch/research/functionalimaging.html
For information on the Neurochoice Consortium:
http://www.systemsx.ch/index.php?id=153

--
Dr Renaud Jolivet
Roche Research Fellow