[Comp-neuro] AM 404 and L-AP4 effects on the hippocampal mossy fiber synaptic transmission

Sudhir Sivakumaran su.sivakumaran at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 13:58:38 CEST 2010

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have an idea about how AM404, an endocannabinoid uptake
blocker, works in modulating release of neurotransmitter from the
presynaptic neuron?

I mean, in our set of experiments, after using this drug, to confirm the
presynaptic fiber as mossy fiber of the hippocampus, we use L-AP4, a
mGluR agonist, which usually reduces transmission from the mossy fiber.
But in the current experiments we are doing, L-AP4 doesn't seem to have
any effect (or either we are catching the interneurons more often than
usual!!!). So, I am wondering if it's possible that the accumulation of
endocannabinoid (as a result of the uptake block) is in some way
interfering with the effect of L-AP4? Is it possible that endocannbinoid
in the synaptic cleft could somehow nullify the effect of this mGluR
agonist?

Thanks to all in advance.

Best,
Sudhir