[Comp-neuro] 1st Osnabrück Computational Cognition Alliance Meeting (OCCAM 2011) on "Natural Computation in Hierarchies" - Deadline 30th of April

Frank Jäkel fjaekel at uos.de
Tue Mar 8 15:46:52 CET 2011

Workshop announcement:

(Apologies for duplicate postings)

Dear Colleague,

we would like to invite you to register for the 1st Osnabrück
Computational Cognition Alliance Meeting (OCCAM 2011) on "Natural
Computation in Hierarchies". The workshop will take place in
Osnabrück, Germany, from the 22nd to the 24th June 2011 and will be
hosted by the Institute of Cognitive Science (University of
Osnabrück). Details can be found below and on the following webpage:

http://www.occam-os.de

Registration is open until April 30th, 2011 (first come first
served). The registration fee is 100,- Euros. This fee covers the
workshop attendance incl. coffee and lunch breaks as well as 2 dinners
(buffet on 22nd June and conference dinner on 24th June), but not
accommodation.

The goal of this workshop is to foster our understanding of mechanisms
and principles of information processing in self-organized
hierarchical systems. Our knowledge of self-organized information
processing in hierarchical systems is still very limited despite being
a focus of research for many years. This workshop aims at assembling
the latest results from various research branches in order to combine
them into a broader and more comprehensive picture of the state of the
art in hierarchical systems.

The workshop will concentrate on three complementary major topics:

1. Coding and representation of information in hierarchical systems
2. Adaptation, self-organization and learning in hierarchical systems
3. Complex systems, networks and their dynamics

These three topics will consequently lead to the ultimate question of
how information is processed in natural hierarchical systems.

A central aspect of the workshop is to elucidate principles of
communication between different brain modules. We believe that this is
important because large scale interactions in the brain are presumably
self-organized. Since the visual and the motor system are the systems
that we know best, the workshop will naturally focus on these two.

Confirmed speakers are:

Sophie Denève
József Fiser
Claus Hilgetag
Herbert Jaeger
James Kilner
Konrad Körding
Frank Pasemann
Peggy Seriès
Fritz Sommer
Shimon Ullman
Paul Verschure
Angela Yu
Tim Kietzmann
Johannes Schumacher
Niklas Wilming

There will also be a poster session where conference participants will
have the opportunity to present their work. Furthermore, guided tours
will help making these contributions highly visible.

Best regards,

Frank Jäkel, Peter König, Gordon Pipa (Organizing committee)